Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Beets, Beets, Beautiful Beets

Beets are an interesting veggie. As a child I always thought they tasted kinda like dirt.
My mother, however, has always had a love affair with them. She was forever taking them off of my hands by snatching them off of my plate. She also likes figs, which taste like dirt to me too. Perhaps a better term is "earthy" in flavor.
As I grew older, I would occasionally pick one thinly sliced pickled beet from the salad bar and smother it in ranch dressing. This was the only way I could stomach them.
Back in August, I discovered a fresh bunch of beets in my CSA box and was at a loss for what I would do with them. I did a little research on the internet and found a recipe on Epicurious which looked promising. It only took one taste of a freshly roasted beet to realize I had been missing out all those years I was eating the pickled ones from the can.
Roasted beet salads have become a regular on our menu and I look forward to finding beets in our weekly CSA box.
Recently, I decided to try growing beets in our little veggie garden....I'll keep you posted on their progress.
Not only are beets delicious, but they offer excellent nutritional benefits. According to Organicfacts.com, beets are rich in Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus and Copper. They are also relatively low in calories and are considered a natural cleanser for the body.
If you haven't tried fresh beets, please take a stab at the recipe below.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/BEET-SALAD-238644

***Image borrowed from Epicurious.Com

Here is my own take on a roasted beet salad:

4 beets**, tops removed and scrubbed
3 tbls olive oil
3 tbls balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup walnuts
1 bunch arugula (or other baby greens)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle 1 tbls of olive oil over the beets and individually wrap each one in tin foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
Toast walnuts for 3-4 minutes over medium heat in a frying pan. Be careful not to burn or walnuts will be bitter.
Remove beets from oven after 1 hour. Unwrap tin foil (be careful it's hot). Gently rub beets with a damp paper towel to remove beet skins and discard skins.
Toss toasted walnuts and remaining ingredients together in bowl.
Slice beets into bitesize slices. Add beets to bowl with other ingredients.
Serve warm over arugula.

Serves 2 as a main course, 4 as a side dish
***Red beets are sweeter and work best for this recipe. Gold beets can be used, but they have a more savory flavor. Mix it up for a gorgeous presentation. Please choose local, organic beets.

0 comments: