Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Friday, October 17, 2008

My Sometimes "Go-To" Dinner

To say I only have one "Go-To" dinner would be like saying I only have one pair of shoes in the closet.....a blatant fabrication.
But there is one dinner I probably make more often than any other because the ingredients are often already in my poorly stocked fridge.
Quiche always sounded kinda fancy to me and wasn't something I ever ordered when dining out. One day I ran across a whole-wheat/spelt frozen pie crust at Whole Foods and decided to give it a try.
I came across a recipe on RECIPEZARR.COM which sounded simple and promising. Here's the link to their version http://www.recipezaar.com/1809
Emeril has a non-vegetarian version that is very good as well.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/quiche-lorraine-recipe2/index.html


***Image courtesy of Food Network- FoodTV.Com

My version is a little bit different, but is pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself. Serve it with a green salad on the side for a well-balanced meal.

Veggie Quiche w/Spelt crust

1 small zucchini, grated, salted, and blotted with a paper towel (removes moisture)
1 carrot, grated
1/2 white onion, chopped (leaks would be good too)
1/4 cup non-fat milk (we love strauss milk)
1 cup cheese (we love Jarlsberg, white cheddar, and Gouda)
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tbls whole wheat flour
1 tbls olive oil
1 Frozen, Whole Wheat/Spelt Pie Crust

Saute the onion w/ olive oil for a few minutes until transparent.
Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and add onions.
Poor into frozen pie shell. Bake 45 minutes-1 hour in 350 degree oven.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Serve with a side salad. Feel free to mix up the veggies, your imagination is your limit.

0 comments: