Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I am so behind!!!

I can't believe it's December already! I didn't get a chance to blog about my first Thanksgiving ever at my house. Every year I have begged my mom to let me host the holiday, but every year the family had other plans. This year, however, my mom was outnumbered.
Although our holiday meal was not entirely local, a great bit of it came from nearby farms. We had a yummy Mashed Potato and Root Veggie Puree which featured local turnips and potatoes. We also had sweet potatoe puree made with local sweet potatoes and our turkey was from within 200 miles of home. Lastly, the pumpkin pie was made with pumpkins from one of my co-workers gardens!
All in all, it was very successful and delicious, if I do say so myself.
But that's enough talk about Thanksgiving...sorry I am so behind. Let's talk about this week's answer to the Dark Days Challenge.
This week we made two meals which featured local ingrediants; zucchini quiche and pork ribs with greens. My boyfriend made the zucchini quiche last night and it featured zucchini grown in our garden and frozen many months ago, eggs from the local egg ranch, milk from Strauss Creamery (not local but not far either), and parmesan cheese (definately not local). It was to die for! I have written about my quiche recipe before, but David's version was much better than me...must have been the cheesy top crust!
Tonight, David and I collaberated on ribs and greens. He made his own rub, consisting of cumin, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and something else he would not divulge. He then rubbed it onto Sonoma Co. Ribs and seared them in a pan of local garlic and Napa Co Olive Oil. He then broiled them to finish them off. Yumm! I wilted down some mustard greens, kale, and swiss chard from our CSA box along with some local garlic and homemade chicken stock. We had some toasted wheat bread (from Safeway's bakery....I know, shame on me) on the side. The ingrediants aren't local, but at least it's baked nearby.

0 comments: